Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Week One Update

Week One Update

Today I celebrate and embrace the loss of 8 pounds.



On my frame, with the amount of weight I have to lose (over 150 pounds), 8 pounds doesn’t seem like a lot and you can’t see it when you look at me. But that’s ok, because this weight loss journey is about me and my body. Do you know what kind of impact just 8 pounds can have? For every pound over weight we are, that’s 4 pounds of pressure on our joints. I just eliminated 32 added pounds of pressure on my joints! That’s fabulous!

I also made progress on my goals. Progress is part of what fuels our passion to keep going. When I can look back and see how far I’ve gone, that’s what’s going to help me get through those tough times when I feel like nothing is happening and I’ll NEVER meet my goal weight.

So how did I kick those pounds to the curb? I joined a challenge group hosted by my awesome BeachBody coach. It started last Monday and every day I earn points by being accountable and supporting the other people in the group. The group doesn’t teach extreme weight loss or how to starve myself to get fast results that will come back later (and bring friends). No the group teaches me small healthy daily habits to work on and supports me through the fitness program that meets me at my level and provides a little challenge.

What are those small changes? Things like drinking my water each day. Checking in for my daily work out, even on rest days (and actually taking my rest days). They help me in making healthier food choices and getting in my recommended amount of protein and vegetables. When I have a rough day, that group has my back. They’re the ones reminding me that I can do this and that it takes one small step at a time. They lift and encourage me and when I need to, they give me that quick kick in the rear to get moving.

Challenge groups have done wonders for my personal life as well. I started posting ‘sweaty mug photos’ that’s the selfie you take after you’ve worked out when your hair is a mess and there’s sweat dripping down your face, you’re breathing hard and your face is red. Who celebrates photos like that?!? My awesome group of fellow challengers do! We all take those photos. There’s no priming or adding make up or trying to look “sexy”. This is the real thing. I swear it’s almost more of a “who can look worse after working out” competition and its awesome! No one judges me for how I look. They congratulate me for looking happy or exhausted or like a royal mess. They congratulate me for taking another step along my journey to a healthier, happier me. How amazing is that!?! Talk about a confidence booster. I even find myself feeling more confident about taking and posting photos of myself. Something I’ve never been able to do. I look in the mirror now and find good things to say instead of degrading self-talk.




I still have a long way to go. With my weight loss and my health. I struggle with getting the right portion sizes and eating enough of the right things. I struggle with emotional eating and binge eating. I struggle with getting that daily exercise in and feeling like I matter. But every day I get one step closer to being able to do the things I dream of. And this January Challenge group is really helping me take the steps I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment